Knocking on Heaven's Door

Ireland was my first exposure to a foreign culture. The only other time I'd traveled beyond the U.S. border was into Canada. Coming from Wisconsin, a fishing trip in Canada wasn't exactly a diverse experience. So I had no idea how different life could be, Ireland would open my eyes to an entirely new way of living.

There are vast differences between Ireland and the United States and perhaps I'll do a full write up of my time there soon. For now let's focus on the story behind "Knocking on Heaven's Door". I don't believe this photo would have been possible had the friary been located in the States. I chalk it up to either a different degree of respect for the general populous or an overall lack of trust.

"Knocking on Heaven's Door" was captured in Muckross Abbey, part of Killarney National Park. The abbey was built in the 15th century and the burial ground surrounding it is still in use. The structure has been kept in good condition, only a few areas of the second story have noticeably fallen to the sands of time. The friary is a maze of corridors and alcoves all made of stone and visitors are free to explore, unsupervised, to their heart's content.

That's the difference between Ireland and the United States. If Muckross Abbey were built on American soil there would either be a gift shop and a tour guide or it would be fenced off for preservation purposes. Not in Ireland. Only a few areas were gated off, I assume due to weakening stability. We were on our own to explore every crevice. It was like being in an episode of Scooby Doo. Someone would disappear behind you and come stumbling out of a doorway ahead of you.

I found the hallway "Knocking on Heaven's Door" was captured in an area of the abbey I thought we'd already seen. I followed Sarah and our friends through a doorway thinking we were on our way out. Suddenly I found myself standing in a corridor so dark I couldn't see the ground under my feet. I set the camera up to see what was concealed in the darkness, needing almost a two second exposure to pick up the detail you see in "Knocking on Heaven's Door".

Muckross Abbey was one of my favorite experiences in Ireland. I love having the ability to explore new territory. Whether it be meandering off a trail or wandering through an abandoned friary I am always looking for that freedom. We had a number of adventures that were caused by happenstance during our stay. We had no intention of seeing Muckross Abbey. All we knew was there was a national park close by and we had some time to kill.

I wish our culture had the respect for this land and our heritage like I witnessed in Ireland. "Knocking on Heaven's Door" is motivation to get beyond the border again and see what kind of experiences occur when the shackles come off. Muckross Abbey dates back to the 15th century and there wasn't a single security guard on the premise. Killarney National Park placed their trust in the guests of the park to treat the area with respect. That's not something you come across often in the United States.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"