Jolene

I've tried to sit down and write about Abiqua Falls a few times and have yet to find a combination of words that adequately describes it. Cliches can get the point across but Abiqua deserves something more poetic. Since I can't find the words, let's try cliches: it took my breath away, a one of a kind place, WOW!

For this photograph to convey the magnitude of the falls it needs to be printed to fit a billboard. While in Oregon, Sarah and I stopped by Multnomah Falls which is 600 feet tall, 500 more than Abiqua. We stood at the base of Multnomah and I thought yeah that's a long way down. Abiqua Falls' enormity goes beyond its height. You're standing in the bottom of a basalt amphitheater with towering trees around the rim, the only sky you can see is directly above you. In the middle of it all is a roaring current of water shooting away from the basalt wall. It has a way of making you feel trapped while the sensation of complete freedom fills your body.


"Jolene" is a photograph that is supposed to give the viewer perspective. The chocolate columns mixed with copper hues and splashes of green running linear to the elegant white rush of the falls was breath taking but the feeling of being engulfed while at total peace is what made this place so incredible. The product of Abiqua Falls is what I think it would feel like to be the first one to set foot on another planet. The excitement of exploring new terrain tempered by the curiosity of the unknown.

"Jolene" was taken in my favorite place on Earth. While writing this I find myself lost in the memory. This picture brings back the uncontrollable excitement that kept me stumbling around as I tried to capture the wonder that is Abiqua Falls. I'm surprised I didn't roll and ankle carrying my camera and tripod around while my eyes stared at the falls. When you visit a place that makes you disregard everything your body is doing you know its special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"