Gallows Pole

"Days Like This" is my favorite photograph because of the memories I associate with it, "Gallows Pole", on the other hand, is my favorite because of its visual aesthetics. My obsession with textures is represented once again but it pairs nicely with my other love for organic forms while keeping within a palate of mild Earth tones.


"Gallows Pole" was taken on the island of Dhangethi in the Maldives. It is one of four photographs on the website captured while walking the streets of the island village. While most of the walls that lined the streets were painted colorfully, a rare few were neutral tones. It was a rare sight and had the crop extended above the wall a garden of bright green leaves would have changed the photographs mood entirely.

This photograph is one of my favorites because it was captured in a land of aquamarine waters, white sand beaches, and bright sunsets. The Maldives are full of desktop wallpaper worthy scenes but there is much more to the country than tourism. Often times we forget there are people that call our paradise home. They are facing real problems like poverty and in the case of the Maldives a shrinking shoreline. While we enjoy our vacations in a fancy resort we forget there is a living breathing nation beyond the private beach and room service.

My camera wants to see more than a pretty sunset. My camera wants to get off the beaten path and find the beauty this world often over looks. I hope that photographs like "Gallows Pole" or "High Tide or Low Tide" can give the viewer a new perspective on the world. I want others to find satisfaction beyond traditional beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 New Molding Designs

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"