Peace of Mind

Maroon Bells is easily the most photographed location in the state of Colorado. I can't blame people for wanting to go photograph the picturesque peaks, it's breath taking. Everyone that's ever given me advice about photography has said you need to find a way to stand out. Just a quick google search will tell you that having the iconic shot of the Maroon Bells will put you in a list with thousands of photographers.

I went to the bells for the first time this fall and the scene was unbelievable. In the dead of night I found my way to the famous Maroon Lake that reflects the snow striped peaks. All along the edge of the water, shoulder to shoulder, tripod legs intermingled were photographers. The first breath of sunlight wasn't due for another hour and the number of cameras already set up told me this wasn't a rare occasion.

As I walked behind every photographer in Colorado, I lost all desire to point my camera in the same direction. I couldn't stand there knowing that everyone to the left of me and everyone to the right was going home with the same frame of the same sunrise over the same mountains that everyone yesterday and everyone tomorrow would capture. I'm ashamed to have been a part of it.

As I stared at all the photographers I landed on the ridge adjacent to the bells of the ball. A group of jagged peaks was holding back a thick cloud that was beginning to glow from the rising sun. The light beaming hope through the gloom of grey changed my mood. I noticed every lens was still pointed at the bells so I turned my camera around and captured "Peace of Mind". 
 

"Peace of Mind" is a photograph I have mixed feelings about. I wish I had known the beach would be overflowing with photographers shooting the scene nature practically put a frame around, but I was able to beat my discourage and find a shot worth the trip. Maroon Bells is still on my list of places to visit only because I want to find a new frame to show off the iconic peaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"