Top 10 Most Popular Photos of 2018

Last year one of my 10 lists was my favorite photos from 2017. While I enjoyed looking though photos from all of my travels that year, I decided to go a different route with the 2018 countdown. This past year I spent a lot of time getting feedback on my work at shows and through social media. So with the data from my social sites and the conversations I had throughout the year I thought it would be fun to count down YOUR favorite photos from 2018. While not all of these photos were taken in 2018, they are the ones that saw the most attention throughout the year.

10. Hammock in the Mangroves


A favorite of my bin print options, this tropical paradise had everyone wanting to get away. Unfortunately the sales weren't as hot as this afternoon in Aruba but it was one, especially when the temperatures dropped, that caught a lot of eyes at shows this year. My favorite detail is the fish in the bottom right corner.

9. Dream Lake


When it comes to popularity, it is easy to rank photos with Instagram. This photo from Dream Lake in Rock Mountain National Park landed second on the year in "Likes". The shot was taken back in 2016 but just made its debut on Instagram in 2018 and received the second most "Likes" of any post all year. The only photo that finished with more is coming up a little later.

8. "Gallow's Pole"


"Gallow's Pole" was a popular photo at the art festivals this year. It didn't survive the first day in Castle Rock and without a duplicate to replace it, was limited in its exposure. One of my favorite photos of all time, I was glad to see others drawn to it and look forward to bringing it back to the booth in 2019.

7. Maroon Bells


This photo of the Maroon Bells found attention both on social media and in shows throughout the year. While the location is far from unique, the vertical shot with clouds obstructing the famous peaks created some buzz for this shot. One of my first photos to get reposted on Instagram, this became such a hot post that it convinced me to add it to my bin print inventory.

6. "Tryin'"


This photo found some fame on Instagram this year and also became the first "Behind the Title" blog post as voted on by you the people. I have chosen to name my photos after song titles that embody my experience in that location. Once I decided to start explaining the selection for specific photos I posted a group on Facebook and Instagram and left it open for a vote. "Tryin'" won and comes in at #6 on the list as a result.

5. Right and Left


One of two photos taken in 2018 to make the list, this photo from New Orleans saw a lot of attention right away. A unique shot among endless nature scenes, this yin-yang shot in the French Quarter stood out. Available as a bin print, I've had to keep extras on hand due to its popularity but it wasn't the top seller on the year, that one is coming.

4. "The Wind Cries Mary"


Believe it or not this photo almost didn't make it onto the website. I was on the fence but eventually fell in love with these three aspen trunks. "The Wind Cries Mary" was a crowd favorite in my festival booth, drawing more viewers in than any other photo on the wall. If you missed my booth in 2018, keep an eye out for me in 2019 where this photo has a guaranteed spot.

3. Gunnison National Forest


A hot post on Instagram this year, this photo also garnered a lot of attention at shows. Only available as a bin print, this photo from Kebler Pass found its way into a number of homes throughout the year. I always make sure to have extras on hand because it flew out of my basket more often than any other photo in 2018. I'm interested to see if another photo can surpass it in 2019.

2. Guanella Pass


When it comes to social media, "Likes" are what it's all about, or at least the easiest way to quantify popularity. This photo ran away with that category thanks to a repost by a Colorado hub account. With almost three times as many "Likes" as any other photo I posted, this was hands down my most popular Instagram photo of the year which lands it at #2 for 2018.

1. "Elizabeth"


How can the winner of my 2018 March Madness bracket not be the most popular photo of the year? "Elizabeth" survived 31 days of voting and beat out 47 of my favorite photos to be crowned king. In what was a very popular event with around 100 people voting daily, this was easily the most popular photo of 2018. Keep an eye out again this year for the return of March Madness with a brand new bracket!


Since this was a list from the input of people like you, let me know what you think. Did I leave out one of your favorites? Was there another photo that should have been number one? Let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"