Top 10 Goals for 2019

A new year brings a new outlook for the coming 12 months. As the tradition goes, most of us have conducted personal assessments to determine the habits we wish to correct and will plan our resolutions around those results. I described the results of my personal assessment in my 2018 review post just before New Years and outlined a plan for the next trip around the sun in my 2019 preview. Now it’s time to come up with the resolutions. To kick off my annual 10 lists of 10 this year, here are my 10 goals for 2019.

10. Expand the Long Shutter Project
Last year I launched The Long Shutter Project to help raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and raised $100. This year I hope to expand the “Earth Forms” collection and include Long Shutter print options at shows. My goal is to out do 2018's donations and have set the target amount at $500. Stay tuned for more details on the new release.

9. Collect Email Addresses
Social media is good for some things but it has gotten progressively tougher for me to reach my audience. Facebook has made it nearly impossible to be seen unless you contribute to their already deep pockets. Lately my new posts, including this one, and event updates have seen plummeting viewership which is disappointing as an individual artist desperate for marketing options. Late this year I began a monthly newsletter featuring an upcoming schedule, recent blog posts, travel plans, and new photo releases. This is useless unless I have a big mailing list so I have started collecting emails to add to it. I wasn’t very active in building my list in 2018 so this year I hope to make it a priority. For anyone interested in receiving my newsletters there is a link on my Facebook page or you can send your email address to me using the contact page on the website.


8. Keep Up With Editing
Last year I made a goal to catch up on my editing and I made some ground on the giant backlog on my computer but there is still work to do. The two weeks in Italy last year didn’t help keep the space free, nor did the trip to White Sands National Monument, or last minute Costa Rica vacation, or the number of Colorado hikes I went on. However, I have improved my editing process to operate more efficiently and hopefully this time next year am boasting about being on top of things.

7. MOP
Denver’s Month of Photography returns again this spring and I’m hoping for more exposure in this biannual celebration. The last time this event took place I was accepted into a few shows but my work has evolved a lot in the last two years so we will see how it’s received this time around.


6. Develop Two More Framing Options
In my pursuit to distinguish myself in the saturated landscape photography market I began making my own frames. Last year I developed two styles and built a frame using each of them. I made a few mistakes in the construction process but now have the knowledge to make the next ones even better. I’m hoping I come up with at least two new styles to add to the options on my website and I have a couple new frames up in my booth this summer. Spoiler alert, one of my upcoming lists is a look at ten new molding styles that I want to experiment with

5. Participate in 8 Festivals
Festivals were a goal of mine last year but on a limited trial basis just to get my feet wet. I knew how much constructing a booth would cost me financially so just a couple of festivals would be satisfactory. I was able to get into two art fairs and found a few other opportunities to set up the booth as well. While the turnouts were not the best, I absorbed a lot of information. This year I have made adjustments to my setup and feel more confident in my work and hope that leads to more acceptance letters. I have a list of festivals in Colorado and there are a couple out of state I have my eye on as well. I’m setting the goal at 8 and hoping for a busy summer.

4. Develop a Meditation Routine
Last year I placed an emphasis on improving my ability to focus to in turn increase my productivity. I tried to reduce the use of distractions in the office like my phone and tablet but that wasn’t enough to maximize efficiency. I started practicing meditation to test its effects on focus. The results were immediate, creating a level of clarity I’d never had before. My production increased dramatically. This year I hope to create a consistent daily regimen to help achieve that high level of productivity.


3. Hike More
The great outdoors is my happy place and I need to start making time for more visits. While my work requires me to explore nature, my health benefits from the fresh air as well. Nature is where I find myself and see the weight of every day stress dissipate. A morning hike on my days off may take up half my weekend to work but that peace of mind will carry into the week and make me more productive when I'm home. A good balance of work and play will be a priority this yea.

2. Maximize Productivity
This was a goal last year and while there was improvement made there is still a long way to go. Working a full time job and having responsibilities as a husband and dog owner leave a limited amount of time for working this side hustle. That precious remaining time needs to be utilized to its full potential. I’m hoping my meditation practice and new workout regimen will help keep my mind on task.


1. Make Time to go Fishing
After my trip to Canada last summer I realized how therapeutic fishing is for me. When I left Wisconsin four years ago I gave up all my fishing holes and haven’t started looking for new ones in Colorado. Nothing will ever compare to the lakes I used to frequent but just spinning that reel is an active form of meditation for me. After a week on the water last July I came home with a settled mind. Running a business and keeping up with everything else in my life can get hectic. Fishing more often this year could be a way to help calm my thoughts so I can focus on one things at a time. It’s time to dust off the tackle box and find that peace again.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"