Top 10 Favorite Expereinces of 2017

What a year 2017 was. Aruba, Hawaii, Savannah, Death Valley, Disney, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Sarah and I bought a house, there were weddings, babies, parties, an eclipse, a lot happened this year. So in a year that flew by with all the activities, I thought I would look back and pick out my top ten favorite experiences from the past year.

10. To Go Cups
Savannah was a great trip, so great we might be back before we visit Oregon for a second time. The best moment on the trip was the afternoon Sarah and I walked the streets of the historic district. Savannah is covered in more history than Spanish moss and the historic district is the center point. While the sun beat down hard for a spring afternoon, walking those cobblestone alleys with my wife was as carefree as I have ever been. It also helped carrying a frozen daiquiri around on our self guided tour. With sweat being unavoidable, taking advantage of Savannah's "to go cup" policy helped keep us cool and made walking all day even more memorable. The evening concluded with a night of singing and more drinking in an Irish pub while a performer sang classic Irish folk tunes. This was a night to serve as prime example why it's nice to just go with the flow.


9. Squid Lu'au in Oahu
I love food, even more I love trying new food. While in Oahu we took a convoy tour of the north side of the island which is lined with beach shacks offering a variety of cuisines. We stopped at the first one we saw with the intent of hopping from place to place until our bellies were full to the point we had to beach ourselves for the remainder of the day. The menu didn't have pictures or descriptions accompanying the items of which none of us recognized. My love for mystery food kicked in and without hesitation I ordered something called Squid Lu'au. I received a white take out container with rice and another styrofoam container with a lid. Inside that container was a green slop with an odor similar to rotting seaweed. For a moment I wasn't sure if my courage for local delicacies would pay off until that green slop touched the first taste bud. The texture was not ideal, imagine warm baby food with a hint of stringy squash and chunks of tentacles woven in. The flavor, however, was similar to sweet potatoes. Before we found stop number two I was a proud member of the clean plate club.

8. Big Thunder Mountain
I am not a fan of roller coasters, never have been and apparently never will be. The quick dips and turns do a number on my stomach and given the choice I have gone with the pass option every time. Then I fell in love with a girl that loves that feeling I hate and upon wandering through the Magic Kingdom last January she convinced me to give them another shot. Occasionally opinions change, a thing you avoided for so long becomes something you enjoy, or at the very least tolerate, given a second chance. I am a believer of that notion, so we started out small with Big Thunder Mountain. After an hour in line, contemplating many things including how many kids are worth trampling on my escape to a safe place like Country Bear Jamboree, the bar lowered and I was trapped. Turns out, I still don't like roller coasters. That awful feeling hit my gut after the first turn and the remainder of the ride was spent dreaming of a happy place. But I gave it another try and that is why it made my top ten list.

7. Avalanche Ranch
For Valentines Day, Sarah and I drove west to Redstone, Colorado to a charming collection of cabins called Avalanche Ranch. For February in the mountains, there was an uncharacteristic lack of snow. We were both disappointed having brought our snow shoes along for a workout before enjoying the hot spring pools across from our cabin. Saturday we woke to a mix of mist and clouds but thought why not drive and see if we can find a place to hike anyway. We drove toward higher ground and parked at McClure Pass where the ground was snow covered. No sooner had we began our hike did the snow begin to fall. With Lambeau sporting his booties with us, we hiked into the forest while the snow got thicker. Soon we were in a snow globe of fat flakes frosting the trees around us. When we arrived back at our cabin we found the snow had not made it into the valley and returned to our cabin surrounded by brown. The night in the hot springs where cold mist tickled our faces before retreating to our cabin for smores on the wood burning heater. Sunday morning we awoke to a winter wonderland. The blizzard on McClure pass finally hit the valley and dropped a thick layer that clung to every surface it touched. Rather than drive home, the morning was spent taking pictures of the world of white and throwing snowballs for Lambeau to chomp on.

6. Aruba Shipwreck
I never took swimming lessons as a kid. My parents always worried about me in water because if my feet couldn't touch I was pretty much drowning. In Maldives, Sarah and I could hop off our deck and snorkel in the Indian Ocean at our leisure. It took some time for the anxiety to wear off but eventually I became comfortable swimming in the ocean. In Aruba, conquering my fears paid off for two of the top ten experiences of the year. The first one was the shipwreck that we snorkeled around. The water was deep, I didn't have a life vest on, but I was floating and any remaining fear was replaced with marvel. The cerulean waters around the rusted hull were stuffed with fish. It was impossible to concentrate on drowning when pointing out coral formations or lobster hiding in the rocks. Snorkeling has become one of my favorite activities and experiences like swimming around a shipwreck are the reason why. Something I was always afraid of is now one of my favorite things to do. Now to find a sea turtle.

5. Hanakapiai Falls
I love to photograph waterfalls, a few have stuck with me over the years like Abiqua Falls, or Oneonta Falls. It takes a tremendous experience to make a waterfall stick out when you visit so many and Hanakapiai Falls in Kauai did just that. The hike to the falls was moderate, it required some team building exercises for Sarah and I as the trail crossed a river numerous times but we kept our feet dry. The recommendation to hike Hanakapiai came from a friend that said she cried at the sight of the waterfall. First glance showed me why. The massive trail of water fell through the air so fast that it burst into droplets and resembled a spirit dancing against the black cliff. I have never been so fixated on a single subject like Hanakapiai Falls. While others cooled off in the waters before hiking back to the beach, I spent my time glued to the Canon trying to capture the spirit of Hanakapiai.

4. Octopus
The second snorkeling experience comes in at number four on the list. I have only seen a few sea creatures other than fish in my short snorkeling career. I saw a shark swim by in Maldives, a pair of lobster were hiding in the rocks around the shipwreck, occasionally one of us will spot a starfish, and then there was the octopus. Sarah wasn't with me as she normally is for this snorkeling experience and I still feel bad she missed it. As soon as my face went under water the alien retreated to cover in the reef. The water was two feet deep, shallow enough for a solid wave to bounced me into the rocks but I maintained my position. It was tough to tell who was more curious of the others presence. The octopus stared at me while I tested its trust creeping closer and closer. It nestled in an open part of reef where its skin was constantly adapting to camouflage accurately. I broke the game of chicken first, opting to further explore the reef rather than over stay my welcome. Like I said before, overcoming your fears can lead to amazing experiences.

3. Solar Eclipse
This was hand down my most popular experience of the year garnering massive attention on social media. It was a wild trip for me as well. I had flown back into Colorado the night before the show and had to drive deep into the night to get to Casper, Wyoming. The following morning I was treated to a phenomenal spread by my host before driving for a spot within the line of totality. I had researched for my camera's sake but had no idea what would physically occur. As the sun disappeared, the Earth cooled rapidly like it had slept though the evening and was trying to adjust from day to night. An orange glow sat on the horizon in every direction when the moon reached total coverage and then the audience began to cheer. I was blown away by my camera's ability to capture the moment. Even my timelapse turned out better than I could have hoped for. The moment was one I will always remember. It was so good I sometimes forget to mention the twelve hour traffic jam on the way home.

2. Great Sand Dunes National Park
The wind was whipping sand into our eyes and stinging our bodies all afternoon but my oh my what a natural wonder that place is. It still amazes me that so much sand can collect in one location in the middle of the mountains. Great Sand Dunes National Park was heaven for my eye. Every step presented a new composition of shadows, new textures, and adjusted peak positions that kept the shutter busy. The wind kept a majority of visitors at bay but our group hiked until sunset. This was a photography high for me and already a place I can't wait to return to. Good thing it's in my own backyard.


1. Sunset Cruise
I would highly recommend reading my One Happy Island post from our trip to Aruba (link here). It starts detailing this experience that defined the trip for me. On a trip dedicated to celebrating our first year of marriage, the sunset cruise was the culmination of bliss. There are a lot of stressing factors in my life and laying in the net of a catamaran as the sun set was the first time they all vanished. I have never felt more relaxed, more sure that this was where I belonged than in that moment. With an arm around my wife bouncing in the sea under that golden sky, life was perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 New Molding Designs

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"