10 Lessons I Learned in 2017

It takes a big man to admit his mistakes. You've probably heard that classic line once or twice, usually after you've made a mistake. It's true though, in order to grow we need to make mistakes and learn from them. You put your hand on the hot stove, that's usually a mistake you won't make again. You get a flat tire and in the process of changing it one of the bolts falls into the hub and you decide to drive with that rattling around until it shoots free and leaves you stranded on the side of the road in Oconto, WI. That's not a mistake I will make again.

For this list of 10, I have compiled 10 lessons that I learned this year.

1. Know your equipment
I learned a lot about my gear this year, usually after a frustrating shoot. I learned about hyperfocal distances which is a point of focus that will render sharpness throughout the scene and how to calculate it. I bought a new lens to replace a pair of wide angle kit lenses that were reducing my sharpness and low light capabilities. I will be buying a full format camera within the first month of this year so I can stop shooting for composites. I calibrated my lenses once I learned about auto focus microadjustment which was causing inaccurate focus.

I realized there is a lot about my gear I didn't know and even more that I still don't. Once I became frustrated with my photos and started researching how to fix my issues I learned a lot and have seen the results improve my work dramatically. It was not a lesson I enjoy admitting but this blog is about sharing my journey and that includes all the bumps along the way.

2. Enjoy the journey
Speaking of the journey, I have been reminding myself all year of how exciting this process is. I am constantly learning whether it be about photography or myself. As much as I would love to quit my job and start traveling and shooting full time, the journey to get there should still be enjoyed. While I could grind and work myself to the bone I have to stop from time to time and soak it in. This is an exciting time. I believe there is something big here and I see a bright future for myself, I just have to keep working.

3. You can make it
This is a lesson I am still coming to terms with. I have had my doubts about finding success through photography but I look around at so many other photographers that are able to sell their work and make their livings from this craft and it's hard not to wonder why not me. I don't want to get on a high horse and say I should make it because my work is superior but I do see a high quality in my art. I work for a photo lab and see work come through all the time that makes me ask "someone bought this?" but that's what I have to realize, the photos are selling because people are seeing them. My work hasn't reached many public eyes yet and if I can start putting myself out there, why can't I make it? I have to start believing in myself and good things will come.

4. Listen to your wife
This may come back to bite me once Sarah reads this but it's true. Aruba was finally the trip that I gave in and tried to relax on a vacation. I got plenty of photos and was able to log some incredible memories at the same time. While I am itching for a photo trip now, swaying in a hammock above turquoise water surrounded by mangroves with my arm around my wife will have me considering beach vacations a little harder. Not all the time Sarah, but I'll give you this one. You won me over.

5. Pictures aren't everything
This one piggybacks off of number 4. Traveling is a time to experience somewhere new and make memories but photography became my priority. I felt obligated to shoot because I was all in on pursuing this dream. Then I realized I was putting too much pressure on the camera and it was hindering my experience. Hawaii was the wake up call when Sarah expressed her concern with my shoot shoot shoot mentality. Looking back I should have been concentrating on her and the experience while waiting for the decisive moment to photograph. I hope I can find a better balance going forward and return from my travels with as many memories as images.

6. Research
I shot the solar eclipse in August and before hand I did a lot of research on what would happen and what I would need to capture it. If you saw any of my images or videos from the event you know it was worth it. As much as I enjoy spontaneity especially when shooting, it comes in handy to know what you're doing. When I travel I have an idea of where I want to go but the research stops there so I'm not influenced by other photographers. When it comes to new subjects and equipment I have learned to put in the time to research for the best results.

7. Become less social
Well, online anyway. I've never been a big fan of social media and on my personal accounts I rarely post. In this day and age you need a social media presence though, no matter how much you don't want to. Sarah tells me that and according to lesson number four I need to listen to her. I've created a professional Facebook and Instagram account which probably led you to this list. I am not the best follow and I am far from consistent but since this photo dream is so important to me I have put too much emphasis on the numbers. I shouldn't care how many likes my photos get on Instagram or how many comments come from Facebook. At the end of the day those statistics don't define me or my work so I shouldn't worry about them.

8. Be realistic with deadlines
You ever get directions from someone and they tell you it will take a half hour to get there but it really takes you an hour? That's sort of how I am with my deadlines. I think I can complete a project in far less time than reality will allow. The Long Shutter Project is a perfect example. I was hoping to have it ready by September but there was so much going on I didn't start until November and the deadline of Christmas was thrown out the window when problems arose with my website and the amount of work was larger than I expected. This goes with editing and writing as well. I might have found a big reason why this occurs which leads me to number nine.

9. Squirrel
Ok, YouTube videos of squirrels. Distractions have hindered my productivity massively over the years. If it isn't pointless browsing on my phone it's random ideas and projects I get worked up over and put before my photography. This isn't something new, I've known about this issue for a while but when I want to work on it, here comes fantasy football season or there's a new game I'm addicted to. I'm not proud of it and distractions were a big part of my disappointing 2017 but I am really putting my foot down on electronics in the office from now on.

10. You found your lobster
This is a lesson I've learned a thousand times but it's still something I realized plenty this year. Occasionally I try to imagine where I would be had I never met Sarah. It's tough because she has had such an incredible impact on my life but before her I was coming to the end of my college career with no direction for my future. I certainly wouldn't have moved to Denver on my own, or my hometown of Green Bay for that matter. She pushed my comfort levels and made me a better man for it. I have found my passion and am chasing it because she continues to believe in me more than anyone. She is the reason I have been to two continents and spend all my money on plane tickets and hotel rooms. She has made me so happy and I am reminded daily of how lucky I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 New Molding Designs

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"