Top 10 Favorite Experiences of 2018

As I continue my 10 lists of 10 I’m bringing back one of my favorite lists to put together. 2018 was a big year for my photography career as I took giant steps to making it a full time gig. 2018 was also a big year of travel adding four new countries to the passport and visiting 5 countries total. For this list of 10 I get to relive all 365 days of 2018 in search of my top 10 favorite experiences. While the year was full of memorable moments, these 10 had the greatest impact on me.


10. Paint Mines
The Paint Mines east of Colorado Springs was a recommendation I received early in 2018 and checked off the list just weeks later. This bizarre landscape is in the middle of the plains in eastern Colorado. The drive cuts through ranches and farm fields for long enough to make it feel like a trick. Even after arriving at the parking lot there is still nothing but rolling grassland as far as the eye can see. Nestled in the weeds is the Paint Mines Interpretive Park. The hike itself is short but you can sped a day exploring every nook and cranny of the pink, orange, purple, white, and yellow environment. This place is a well kept secret as most people drive west for the amazing views in the mountains. If you want to find out what a hybrid of Mars and a Dr. Seuss book would look like add the Paint Mines to your list.


9. Wandering the Streets of London
As part of our Italy trip last spring, Sarah and I booked two long layovers, one in Paris on the way to Italy and one in London on the way home. I'll admit I was pretty spent after 10 days trekking through Europe and when we landed in London I was ready to be home. That evening Sarah and I caught a train into the city and tried to see as many sights as we could in the few precious hours we had. We managed to see Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Tower of London and London Bridge with enough time to swing by The Prosecco House for a drink before dinner. By the time we sat down to eat in the Sky Garden overlooking the entire city, I had been rejuvenated. Even though we walked the majority of the day, London's energy and unique style gave me a second wind. The rich history takes you into the world of Sherlock Holmes but has futuristic construction that'll make you think the Jetsons are the new city planners. London became a highlight of the trip and affirmed our long layover idea for future travels to Europe.


8. White Sands
The anticipation was well worth the wait. I finally made it to White Sands National Monument last year and it blew me away. White as snow but soft like sand, this wild landscape in New Mexico is an incredible place to visit. During the day the harsh contrast of the white gypsum dunes under a cloudless sky can be blinding but when the sun sets it becomes a pastel world. The landscape drew me down but watching Lambeau gallop through the dunes was the cherry on top. We love getting him out for adventures with us because he always looks so happy exploring. Sarah and I were able to rent sleds to go sledding down the dunes and Lambeau would chase us down before sprinting straight up the steep hill for another go. White Sands definitely confirmed that dunes are my favorite landscape to photograph.

7. Anniversary In Vail
Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. Sarah and I had tickets booked to Belize over our second wedding anniversary until a hail storm destroyed our roof. Having to cancel, we refused to let our anniversary pass without a travel celebration. Instead we checked an item off of Sarah's bucket list and booked a room at the Four Seasons in Vail for a night. Both of us took a day off from work and went for a relaxing makeshift anniversary trip in the mountains. I've never been much for the lavish lifestyle but taking a day to spoil ourselves was a rare treat that we both enjoyed. We continued our relaxation the following day with a trip to the spa before returning home. While our hopes had been for a week in Belize, our ability to roll with the punches made our two day getaway a memorable anniversary all the same.


6. First Festivals
This whole journey of building my dream career has been a lot like learning to swim. When you get thrown into the pool for the first time, you almost expect to drown. Then your instincts take over, you start treading water and manage to keep your head above water. In that moment there's a fragile confidence created. On one hand, you've managed to somehow remain alive but there is still the fear that at any moment you could start choking on water. That was how I felt at my first art festival. Being accepted was a huge victory on its own but I didn't feel I belonged. I had no other choice but to dive in so I concentrated on building my booth. I didn't believe I was ready or capable of producing a quality presentation but standing outside my booth on the first morning of the festival was a proud moment

5. Completing First Frames
I spent years thinking of a way to separate myself from the hoards of landscape photographers until I finally came up with an idea to build my own frames. I never took shop class in high school, nor did I elect to take any woodworking classes in college. For some reason I thought I could figure out a way to layer wood to make a molding that would accent my photos]. I didn't even play around with techniques, much like the art festivals, I just jumped in. My first frames are riddled with flaws but overall I truly impressed myself. I built two frames in 2018 and expect a lot more to come in the future.

4. Extended Christmas Vacation
Every year Sarah and I find our way back to Wisconsin to be with family for the holidays. We had the luck of growing up in the same city so it's incredibly easy for us to split time between our families. In the past, we had been home primarily before Christmas when everyone is flying around prepping for the festivities. This year we arrived two days before Christmas Eve and stayed the whole week of Christmas when everything settled down. For the first time in our four years of traveling back for the holidays we were able to spend quality time with our families. In a season of busy, it was a relief to sit down and relax with our loved ones. One of my better Christmas' of recent memory.


3. Speaking Italian in Italy
Before our trip to Italy last spring, I tried my best to learn some Italian. I say I tried my best because it's really awkward learning another language via podcast and walking around work repeating random Italian words. I felt like speaking the language would show more respect for the culture but I wasn't confident in what I had learned by the time we landed in Milan. I was comfortable using a few common phrases and tried my best to use my Italian as much as possible but was hesitant in my delivery. One day Sarah and I were making our way through Tuscany hopping from town to town to San Gimignano where we planned to spend the night. We arrived at a small boutique hotel just outside of the small Tuscan village for check in but were met by a locked door. Without any signs posted, we had no idea how to get in. The hotel was tucked in the middle of a residential area so we began looking for someone to help us. The only people around were an elderly couple that lived next door but only spoke Italian. They were incredibly patient as I pieced together various phrases and common words to communicate our situation. They were then able to find another neighbor that knew the owner and gave her a call. The moment was stressful, but resolving the issue using my knowledge of the language was very gratifying. Learning another language was a great challenge but one I'm glad I took on. I'm now determined before I travel somewhere that doesn't speak English to pick up as much of a local language as I can. It's helpful to know but also makes the experience feel more authentic.


2. Canada
Oh Canada, I miss you so. In July I joined a group of guys for a fishing trip in Ontario. I'd been to this lake twice before and, while I was excited to return, knew it wouldn't be the same. My best friend who had planned the first two trips had passed away a few years prior and this trip was planned in his honor. I never truly processed his passing and had been off my axis since he left. I expected to feel him on the lake when we arrived but it just felt hollow. Over the course of the week, the lake broke through the void he had left. Whether it was the escape from everyday life, the rocking of the waves or the incredible fishing, by the end of the trip I had found peace. I realized the reason I felt so empty was because I had given up so many of the things that reminded me of him. I returned to Denver with a new appreciation for life. I started listening to the music he loved again, I made more time for the ones I love and I can't wait to go on another fishing trip.


1. First Sale
The most memorable experience of 2018 was the night I made my first sale. I managed to get into a gallery in January. On the first Friday of every month the galleries hold special events, the artists come down and people flood the streets for a city wide art walk. On my first first Friday I had a lot of feelings. I was proud that I was showing in a gallery, I was nervous about what the reaction would be, I was afraid of talking to strangers, and I was anxious about the potential of making a sale. By 10 o'clock, the crowd was starting to thin out, I had yet to make a sale and my confidence had been decimated. As people were being ushered out, I turned around to find a man looking at my work. When he saw me looking at him he pointed at a piece and said "I want it." I don't know if you've ever had to suppress euphoria before but it's not easy. Inside I was sprinting around the room screaming and dancing, while outside I was nodding my head and running his credit card. Driving home that night I thought to myself "Alright, maybe I can do this."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 New Molding Designs

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"