Top 10 Places in the World I Want to Visit

I am pursuing a dream and part of that dream is to travel. I have listed my top 10 places in the U.S. to travel but since I am a dreamer why don't we dream big and scour the Earth for this final list of 10 with the top 10 places in the world I would like to visit.

10. Iceland
Iceland would have been a lot higher a few years ago but their tourism department has been kicking butt. Iceland has become one of the hottest destinations recently especially among photographers and the crowds have caused Iceland to drop in this list. It made the list because of the raw landscape and colossal waterfalls that are prime subjects for my photographic preferences. The island was once as peaceful as its lush hills but tourists have been flocking to Iceland and locations that were once isolated have become major attractions. I prefer to avoid the masses when shooting but the terrain would give my camera a lot to photograph. Here are a few of the sites on my list, Gullfoss, Fjaorarglijufur, Aldeyjarfoss, Reynisfjara Beach, Hraunfossar, Gljufrafoss, Vatnajokull Glacier, Skogafoss, and Bruarfoss.

9. Georgia
Not the state, the country, and yes the Middle East country. While the Middle East has developed a reputation for terror and war over the last two decades, Georgia remains an outlier. Its location scares tourists away but the country is safe from my understanding and the people are extremely friendly. While it may be an uneasy trip to take, traveling to Georgia might debunk a lot of the Middle East concerns among travelers.

8. Ireland
This is the only country on this list that I have already been to, and I would love to go back. My first trip to Ireland toured the southern half of the island and was hardly long enough to really appreciate the Irish culture. The landscape redefines the color green and the people were as welcoming as they are at home in the Midwest. The trip was laid back while being loaded with activities and there is much more left to see. The next trip will take us north to Giant's Causeway but we will have to travel south again for Gougane Barra National Forest Park which we missed the last time.
 
7. Namibia
The only African country to crack the top ten, Namibia I think has the best mix of everything. With my love for sand dunes leading my reasons, Namib Naukluft National Park, home to Sossusvlei, will be a must stop. Namibia offers plenty of safari opportunities as well. While most of the popular countries in Africa can boast world class animal viewing and breath taking landscapes, they can't pair that with a sight like Sossusvlei.

6. Norway
It's tough to narrow down a place to photograph the northern lights but Norway is the country I am choosing. I've only seen the lights in Marquette, Michigan but looking at pictures from them in Norway, it is a much grander sight to behold. All of the Nordic countries offer spectacular viewing options and I would love to visit them all but Norway will be my first stop. The country is growing in popularity in the photography community with it's cute villages and mountainous landscape. I would love to get ahead of the buzz and see the northern lights again before it becomes a mass event.

5. Patagonia
On the southern most tip of South America lies Patagonia, with its crystal lakes, spiked mountain peaks, and receding glaciers make this my number 5 location. Patagonia is full of national parks including Torres del Paine in Chile and Los Glaciares in Argentina landing high on my list. There are also a series of marble caves that would make for some amazing photographs. Patagonia is a region that is changing quickly with a warming climate and I would love to visit the glaciers before they are gone.

4. New Zealand
New Zealand has a beach where you can shuck and eat oysters right fresh from the ocean. That experience alone has me itching to go. The country is a photographer's paradise with a wide variety of climates and dramatic landscapes. New Zealand hasn't received the tourism attention it deserves and it makes me believe it will soon become the next Iceland of the world. With sites like Pukaki Lake, the glow worm caves, Mount Aspiring National Park, clay cliffs and Abel Tasman National Park, there is a lot to experience in this island nation.

3. China
This may be the biggest surprise on the list. There is something mysterious and undiscovered about China. If you can look past the super cities of Hong Kong and Beijing, deep in the mountains lies incredible beauty. The Yellow Mountains have been my inspiration to visit but there has always been an appeal to experience rural farm life in China as well. Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is another interesting landscape with its rock spires and a float down the Lee River will have you developing a new view for the world power. The culture is reason enough to visit China but once you start looking at the landscape it's hard not to want to visit.

2. Indonesia
Indonesia is made up of over 13,000 islands with no shortage of spectacular landscapes to see. Pristine white sand beaches, jungle rich mountains, and crystal blue waters make this a tropical paradise and with 13,000 islands to see there is no shortage of photographic opportunities. Indonesia has been high on both mine and Sarah's list which leaves a lot of hope for this trip happening sooner than later. Sarah would have her beaches and relaxation while I have waterfalls and mountainous islands surrounded but teal water to photograph. When we want a together activity we can enjoy some of the best snorkeling and diving opportunities in the world. The real problem will be convincing us to come back.

1. Antarctica
Antarctica would be my ultimate photo excursion. A landscape that has seen minimal human influence, Antarctica is as much about the adventure as it would be for photography. The trip would have to make a pit stop at South Georgia Island where penguins and seals gather by the millions. Wildlife photography isn't a popular subject for me, mostly because I don't have the gear for it, but I have always loved animals and to be on the beaches shooting penguins and elephant seals would be an incredible experience. I find elegance in the icebergs that I have seen photographed in the waters off of Antarctica and would love to try my hand at capturing that scene. Because of the untouched landscape, amazing wildlife viewing and the difficulty to reach this location is why Antarctica is my number 1 place to visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"

Top 10 Places I'd Go Without a Camera