10 Possible Photo Excursions for 2018

My list of places to travel is extremely long, basically everywhere. Having a full time job that doesn't pay the best I run into time and financial obstacles that limit how much and how far I can travel. But every year Sarah and I manage to book our year full of trips all over the world as our wallets will allow. Here are 10 trips that have a good chance of happening in 2018.

1. Italy
Italy may seem like a big trip to start out with when looking for ten trips for a single year but it comes in at number one because it has already been booked. The details beyond our flight schedule are blank but the tickets have been purchased and come May you can expect to see a lot of wine and pasta pictures on Instagram. We also were creative with our flight bookings and managed a long layover in Paris on our way to Milan and London before we return to the States. Our London visit will be especially exciting as we will be there the day before the royal wedding. It will only be an evening in each city but that's two more places we get to experience on what will be my second trip to Europe.

2. New Orleans/Gulf Coast
This is another trip that is already booked and will be our first excursion of the year. In a couple of weeks we will be flying into New Orleans and driving along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico through Mississippi and Alabama. We don't have much for an itinerary so it will be more of a wherever the wind takes us long weekend. We will be spending a night in Mobile, Alabama and another in Mississippi with two days in New Orleans before we return home. This trip will knock off three new states for both Sarah and I and we are excited to explore a new part of the country.

3. New Mexico
New Mexico is a short drive from Denver so why it has taken us so long to cross that border I cannot tell you. This trip is already set and after Italy it is the one I am the most excited about. We booked this road trip to finally see White Sands National Monument. If you've never seen pictures imagine sand dunes that are as white as snow. It has been high on my list of road trips for a while now and this February I can finally check it off. Added bonus, Lambeau can join us for this one.


4. Savannah
I know, I know, we were just here. Savannah quickly became Sarah's favorite place in the U.S. and a long weekend wasn't enough for either of us. This is the start of the potential trips as this one has not been booked but it is very close to that point. My parents took me to Hilton Head when I was in high school and my dad said the island was the front runner for his retirement location. Together we are planning a family trip to the area where we will split time between Savannah and Hilton Head. The plans are being made for summer with a high probability of happening.


5. Oregon
This trip hasn't been talked about yet but after the last journey, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm surrounded by moss and waterfalls again later this year. Sarah and I made our first trip to Oregon two years ago and had a trip back planned before we were wheels up out of Portland. As of right now the trip remains a long shot to happen but if some good luck can give us a free weekend and a few bucks to burn I could see us bound for the Pacific northwest again.


6. Crested Butte
Now we are getting into the local trips as the first half will likely bleed our travel budget dry. Crested Butte is by far our favorite town in Colorado. We made the four hour drive on three occasions in 2017 and haven't gone a year since moving to Denver without visiting the remote mountain town. The fall foliage drew us in for our first visit and has been our main excuse ever since. Last year we made the excursion in the summer time during their wildflower festival and now have another reason to go back. The abundant blooms throughout the area were tremendous to hike through and it will most likely be a destination again in 2018.

7. Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
The last Colorado national park we have to visit could finally happen this year. I have brought it up numerous times to Sarah and every time the plans fall through it strengthens the desire. 2018 could finally be the year we make the voyage west to see the Black Canyon. One of the reasons the trip has been put off is that the park doesn't allow dogs and we always feel bad leaving Lambeau out of our local excursions but maybe the big boy can forgive us for one day.

8. Eagle Peak
This hike is not far from where we live but I only found it this past summer and I have been dying to make the trek ever since. It is a longer hike, roughly 14 miles round trip, but a quiet stroll through the Colorado wilderness with stunning mountain views will make it an easy one. When we are spending so much time and money on a few big trips this year, a quick hike in our own backyard is extremely viable.


9. Great Sand Dunes National Park
I want to go back! I loved this place and cannot wait to return. Hopefully we can find a day with less wind but I wouldn't say no to breeze conditions again either. It kept the dunes clean and the hikers away which made for prime shooting. The place was high on my list for so long and after three failed attempts to go we finally made it in October. It was everything I could ever dream for as a photographer and I am ready for another day pouring sand out of my shoes.

10. Utah
This may be the longest shot of all the trips on this list. Every year I bring up a Utah road trip but we run out of time. It is always a strong candidate and maybe 2018 will be the year we finally make it out to see one of the wild national parks in southern Utah. Again it will be tough because Lambeau won't be able to join us but with such tremendous terrain just a half day's drive away, the temptation continues to grow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"