10 Goals for 2018

As I've said before I don't set hard resolutions for the new year. I usually reflect and pinpoint a few areas that I'd like to improve on. I try to be mindful of those improvements as the year progresses and hopefully when 2019 rolls around I've seen personal growth and am closer to being the person I want to be.

That being said I have put together a list of ten goals I hope to accomplish for 2018. Some are photography milestones, others are personal guidelines, but in 12 months I hope to have met all ten of these goals.

1. Launch Long Shutter Project
I am still going to hold off on the details until I get closer to launching, you know build suspense and all. This was a goal for 2017 that didn't happen so early in 2018 I would like to see this finally go public. There are still a few bugs with the website that need to be worked out but this idea should come to fruition this year.

2. Streamline Editing
This has been a major issue productivity wise and if there could be a quicker way to move through photos it would take a lot of stress away. 2017 was packed with adventure and 2018 is looking to be the same and the computer will only hold so much. It is time to find better focus, or ways to edit through batches faster, or my shooting technique may need an adjustment. Whatever can be done to make the process quicker will only benefit me.

3. Art Festivals
Selling art consistently is what I need to start doing to make the conversion to a full time photographer. Throughout 2017, I had been looking for avenues to start making money and festivals is one of the options. It will be a huge undertaking to design a booth and gather the materials to display my work but once it's done my photography can become a traveling show. The goal is to find a few shows this year to get my feet wet with and hopefully that grows my name and leads to more sales.

4. Stock Photography
Stock photography has mixed opinions in the photo community. Basically it requires a lot of work upfront and leads to nickel and dime income that can build up over time. Some photographers make their living selling stock photography so there is money in it but as an artist it can take away from your true passion. With thousands of images sitting in folders that will never see the light of day, stock is a good way to put those images to use and start creating residual income. Luckily Sarah is willing to take on some of the responsibility of setting up my stock database. Hopefully this will help buy an extra plane ticket or two.

5. Be Healthy
I haven't exactly been piling on the pounds but my lifestyle has changed due to all the work being put into this dream. My eating habits have been fine, the holiday treats were a vice as always but they are almost gone. My exercise habits are where the change needs to happen. When I exercise consistently my mood tends to be more upbeat, I have better focus and sleep better, it's really a snow ball of positive effects. This year I would like to make time for exercise and continue eating healthy so hopefully that leads to more productivity in the long run.

6. Eliminate Distractions
This is the big one. There is so much to see and do with technology these days and unfortunately I've been hooked. Where the focus should be on taking steps towards achieving this dream, there is always a temptation to look at something on my phone. There have been many poor production night because of these distractions and that leads to stress and disappointment. Hopefully these new year vibes can hold long enough to break the addiction and 2018 can be more productive.

7. Win a Photo Contest
This is a tough goal because I have little control over it. This is more about forcing me to look for opportunities to get my name out there. To win a photo contest your best bet is to enter a lot of them. I believe my work is good enough to win but you never know what the judges preferences will be and so it becomes a game of numbers. The goal of winning one is more about encouraging me to enter rather than actually winning.

8. Travel
The dream is to travel and take pictures. This year, like any other year, I want to travel as much as possible. There are already three trips locked in for 2018, it would be great to schedule a couple more and there are typically a few spontaneous adventures that get planned and those can be the most exciting ones of all. I have a lot of ideas for places to go it's just a matter of finding the time and money to go.

9. Find the Right Balance
Photography is taking over all of my free time. That's not a bad thing, it means I'm commited, but it has taken away from time with my wife. This year I would like to find a better balance between work and home life. Focus has been a large downfall where it could take two hours to do an hours worth of work, that extra time could be spent catching up with Sarah or playing with the pooch. It all comes back to the same issues, less distractions means more work gets done which frees up more family time.

10. Make it Happen
My state of mind has already changed from doubt to believing. There is no reason anyone can't achieve their dreams but it comes down to putting in the work. It is human nature to aspire for greatness but the few that actually believe in themselves enough to achieve it are the minority. Realizing the difference was effort and belief in myself may have been my greatest takeaway from 2017. Now that there is nothing holding me back, it is time to make it happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Favorite Photos of All Time

10 New Molding Designs

Behind the Title - "Into the Mystic"